Whether you have got off to a bad start to the year, or are smashing those New Year Goals, it’s never too late to reset, readjust, refocus and restart – as many times as you need to! There is often a sudden rush to create New Year Resolution’s, from career developments to personal health, but they often fall through. But why? Because their goals aren’t SMART enough.
What do we mean by SMART goals?
S-pecific (simple, sensible, significant).
For example, ‘exercise more’ or ‘lose weight’ is not specific.
However, I want to run a 5k or I want to lose 4kg by a certain date is.
M-easurable (meaningful, motivating).
What evidence will prove you’re making progress and re-evaluate when necessary. A simple tracking system can help with this.
A-chievable (agreed, attainable).
Can the goal be reasonably achieved and in the given timescale? The goal can be challenging, but must be possible!
R-elevant (reasonable, realistic, results-based).
Your goals should align with your values, objectives and should be positive.
T-ime-bound (time-based, time-limited, time/cost limited, timely, time-sensitive
Having a timeline on your resolution for short, medium and long term benchmarks. This will keep you on track to achieving your goal.
What do you need to achieve in a week, in a month, in 3 months?
If there’s anything we’ve learnt from the past two years, it is not to take our health for granted. This New Year, a lot of us may want to prioritise our lifestyle over other things. A healthy lifestyle not only includes physical health but also your mental, emotional and social wellbeing.
How can your Physiotherapist help you create SMART goals?
- Providing a detailed physical assessment before beginning with a program.
- Designing a tailor-made program for you based on your history of injury, age, medical history, etc.
- Design your program based on your level of fitness and preference by incorporating different forms of exercises such as Pilates and Strength training.
- Teach you the correct forms and techniques for every exercise in your program.
- Suggest injury prevention strategies.
- Treat any aches and pains along the way.
- Physical and Mental destress with Sports Massage, Acupuncture and additional therapies.
- Suggest recovery strategies.
- Keep a record of your progress
- Professional advice and motivation on healthy and easy lifestyle modifications.
Let us create SMART New Year Resolutions for you and help you attain them throughout the year.